Personal Injury / Wrongful Death FAQ’s

I’ve been in a car accident, what is the first thing I should do?

If you have been in a car accident and suffered injuries, you should seek medical attention immediately.  Your health is the most important.  After your medical needs have been addressed, you should then seek legal advice. 

What expenses can I expect in a personal injury or wrongful death case?

The Wibbenmeyer Law Firm, LLC typically accepts contingent fees in personal injury and wrongful death cases.  The fee is based on a percentage and contingent on monetary recovery, if the case is not successful there are no legal fees.  However, we do require clients to reimburse any out of pocket expenses in preparation and trying the case. 

I think I have a personal injury case, what should I do?

If you have been injured, you should contact a lawyer as soon as possible.  An attorney can discuss what legal rights you have and provide a legal opinion regarding your case.

What should I bring to the initial meeting?

You should bring all documents related to the accident and your injury.

In auto accidents, this would include:

  • copies of the police report,
  • medical and billing records for treatment rendered,
  • any wage loss information,
  • photos of your injuries,
  • photos of the vehicle damage,
  • estimate and repair records/receipts,
  • information on the other drivers auto insurance, and
  • any correspondence from insurance companies. 

You may also want to bring your own insurance policy because certain coverages may apply to your case.

What can I recover from the responsible party?

The damages you recover solely depend on the type of case.  You are entitled to receive compensation for past and future medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.  Any settlement monies collected are non-taxable.

What if I am contacted by the other party’s insurance company?

You should always talk with an experienced attorney before talking with the other party’s insurance company.  An attorney will represent your interests.  You should never speak or give a written statement to the other party’s insurance company.  You should also never discuss your medical condition or sign a medical records release.  Any documents or information you release may affect your ability to recover full compensation for your injury.

What if the person at fault for the accident does not have automobile insurance or not enough insurance?

In Missouri, every motorist must have uninsured insurance coverage.  If the at fault driver does not have insurance, you may be entitled to compensation under your uninsured motorist coverage.  If the at fault driver does not have enough insurance to cover the expenses and you have underinsured motorist coverage on your policy, you may be entitled to compensation. 

Will my case go to trial?

Whether your personal injury case goes to trial depends on a variety of factors.  Most personal injury cases are settled out of court between lawyers and the insurance company.  We do our very best to reach a reasonable settlement before filing a lawsuit.

What is a claim for wrongful death?

A wrongful death lawsuit is a civil suit against an individual who caused the death of another by negligence.  Examples of claims include car accidents, motorcycle accidents, semi-tractor trailer accidents, medical malpractice, and manufacture defects.

Who may file a wrongful death suit?

In Missouri, family members including the surviving spouse, children, parents, brothers and sisters, of the deceased may file a lawsuit against a negligent party.  Economic damages such as lost wages, medical bills and funeral bills as well as non-economic damages such as pain and suffering and loss of consortium are recoverable.

We understand how difficult and emotional losing a loved one is and we know money will not replace the loss.  With compassion, we will handle your case to help you and your family ease financial hardship.   

Contact Us

Contact Information

The Wibbenmeyer Law Firm

1049 First Capitol Drive
St. Charles, Missouri 63301
Tel: 636-724-3355
Fax: 636-724-2480

The Lead Counsel Advantage

Lead Counsel Rated Attorney
  • Professional Experience
  • Peer Recommended
  • Spotless Record